This time, I will be discussing the upcoming metagame and the match-ups you should expect to see and prepare for.
The First step when it comes to preparing for any tournament is do your research.
Leading up to YCS Long Beach( which yours truly will be attending).
I plan on doing a huge amount of play testing and research to make sure I am fully prepared for the tourney ahead.
The three most popular deck choices off the bat are going to be Wind-Ups, Dino-Rabbit, and Inzketors. For those who don’t know, Wind-Ups are considered a front runner due to their capability to strip almost all the cards out of your hand before you get a turn. In order to full prepare for them you should have cards in your main or side to deal with them.
For example, Maxx “C”, Effect Veiler or Skill Drain.
Lately in my play testing I have found that waiting for them to go into the Wind-Up Carrier Zenmighty and then activating either “C” or Veiler to force them to stop their attempt at the loop. As-- opposed to activating the “C” in response to Tour Guide’s effect which would most likely end up with them summoning Sangan or Tour Bus from the Underworld and then going into Wind-Up Zenmaines or Sangan and passing.
Make sure to know your rulings when playing or facing this deck, it can be a bit tricky when it comes to timing issues etc.
Next up is Dino-Rabbit.
I personally think that this is the better choice currently because it has an amazing match-up versus the other two tier-one decks.
It’s relatively unaffected by Effect Veiler and can still set up some nigh
impossible-to-fight-against boards even through a Maxx “C’’.
Evolzar Laggia and Dolkka are true powerhouses that change the way you have to play.
Especially when backed up by cards like Forbidden Lance and Fiendish Chain it really makes it hard for Wind-up or Inzektor duelist to win.
I feel like the mirror match will be a lot more prevalent than people think, which could lead to less Jurrac Guiaba (which I absolutely love), which is less than stellar in the mirror match, and more of Spirit Reaper and our buddy that’s recently joined the semi-restricted section of the list Marshmallon.
In order to combat this deck, plan on utilizing Bottomless Trap Hole and Snowman Eater/Ryko the Lightsworn Hunter to destroy their setups. Making correct reads and playing around the devastating combos this deck can establish will make the Rabbit player sweat.
Finally, Inzektor’s is a deck that has been dominating in Japan for sometime now, but has recently just hit our shores. These powerful little Insects gain card advantage through their loop of Inzketor Dragonfly, Inzektor Centipede, and Inzketor Hornet.
After looping, the deck is able to generate pluses and Xyz summon into potentially deadly Xyz’s and also set-up for more looping next turn.
I plan on testing some different variants of this deck soon and will share my exact thoughts after further testing.
Good cards to use against this deck are Shadow Imprisoning Mirror, Skill Drain, and Effect Veiler, but duelists should plan on them bringing in Royal Decree out of their sidedeck for the first two cards I mentioned.
Overall I feel like this gives you the reader a basic description of the three top decks
going into March. Hopefully, this provides some insight into the decks and how
to potentially beat them.
Remember you won’t be facing just these, as there are tons of options out in the Meta. I for one am looking forward to this upcoming format, and YCS Long Beach. Feel free to hit me up if you see me there. Next time I will do a bit more in depth analysis of an individual deck.
Take care and remember to Aim for the Top-
~Evan
Evan Jones has been playing Yu-gi-oh since its debut in America and has been playing competitively for just as long. Evan has received numerous of WCQ invitations and has done well at several Regionals, Shonen Jump Championships, and Yu-gi-oh Championship Series. He hopes to inform readers about the current meta in Yu-gi-oh, along with different views to strategy and deckbuilding. Evan can be E-mailed at Rabidhorseman25@yahoo.com. E-mails pertaining to deck reviews or gaming discussion are encouraged.



No comments:
Post a Comment